Incoming Sixth Grade
INCOMING 6TH GRADERS
All students are placed in the core standard instructional program, regardless of proficiency levels. Students who demonstrate low academic performance (as measured by state-wide testing scores of 1 or 2 and/or classroom performance less than 2.0 grade point average) may be placed in supplemental intervention programs in lieu of an electives class. Standard instructional program includes: Mathematics, Science, Language Arts, Social Science, Advisement, and Physical Education. Parents may choose to opt their student into compacted math courses at the 6th grade level. Opt in forms are posted on the website each spring and emailed to all current 5th-grade families at that time as well. English Language Learners are also placed in an additional Designated English Language course, regardless of English proficiency level. Additional intervention programs provided as needed.
Summer Student Registration
2020-2021 School Year
Eighth Grade - August 10, 8:30 am - 3:30 am.
Seventh Grade - August 11, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 a.m.
Sixth Grade - August 12, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 a.m.
Virtual Camp Parras
Thursday, August 13 1:00pm - 2:00pm
First Day of School
Wednesday, August 26th
Parras Middle School
At A Glance
Parras Middle School has been serving the Redondo Beach community since opening in 1953. Our school provides a rigorous education for our students, which prepares them to be successful at Redondo Union High School. Our motivated students are high achieving and they are able to pursue their interests in sports, music, theater arts and writing.
- Currently we have 1,244 sixth through eighth grade students enrolled in Parras.
- Parras has twice been awarded the California Distinguished School award.
- Parras earned the California Gold Ribbon Award for 2016
- Parras earned the California Green Ribbon Award-Gold Level for 2016
- We offer overnight camps for all three grade levels to further enrich our students’ experience at Parras Middle School.
- We offer elective classes for students to pursue their interests such as drama, media technology, computers, creative writing, school publications and leadership.
- Students have the opportunity to play in our intermural program which has sports such as flag football, soccer, volleyball, basketball and softball.
- Our after school GATE program gives students a one of a kind experiential learning opportunity.
- We have two highly trained counselors to help our students with academic, social and emotional needs during their three years at Parras Middle School.
- Our students are placed on a core team of teachers. This is done so teachers are better able to address your student’s needs.
- We have an online Parent Portal so you can see your child’s attendance and assignment grades in real time.
- Our students receive PE everyday along with the core subjects of math, social studies, science, and language arts.
- Our sixth grade students are placed on a small team of two teachers. One teacher will teach math and science while the other will teach social studies and language arts.
- Our teamed teachers share a common conference period each day so they can meet with parents any day of the week to address concerns.
- We have jazz band, concert band, wind ensemble and symphonic band.
- We have a new performing arts stage and an outdoor amphitheatre for performances.
- Our textbooks are online so students have access at all times.
- We have a digital library for students to download books to their eReaders and Ipads.
A GIRL'S GUIDE TO MIDDLE SCHOOL
Is your daughter nervous about middle school? Our counselor recommends this book from AmericanGirl.com for students:
Incoming 6th Grade Selection Forms