Incoming Sixth Grade
INCOMING 6TH GRADERS
INCOMING 6TH GRADER PRESENTATION
Click below to see Prezi presented at Incoming Parent Night!
Sign up for 2018-2019 Compacted Math Track here: https://goo.gl/forms/Yhkfkd1opq7mcXLT2
Parras Incoming Student
Transition Activities 2018-2019
KEY DATES TO KNOW
Parras Counselor’s Visit Elementary Schools:
Alta Vista 4/2
Elementary Parent Orientation- Thursday, April 19th 6:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.,
Parras Middle School Open House- Thursday, April 26th at 6:15 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Parras Tours for Incoming Students
May 29th Alta Vista and Tulita Walkover from 9:00-10:30 a.m. (Gym)
June 4th Beryl and Jefferson Walkover from 9:00-10:30 a.m. (Gym)
Summer Student Registration
Eighth Grade - August 21, 8:30 am - 11:30 am.
Seventh Grade - August 22, 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Sixth Grade - August 23, 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Camp Parras for New Incoming Students
Thursday, August 23
12:15 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
First Day of School
Wednesday, August 29th
8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Parras Middle School
At A Glance
Parras Middle School has been serving the Redondo Beach community since opening in 1953. Our school provides a rigorous education for our students, which prepares them to be successful at Redondo Union High School. Our motivated students are high achieving and they are able to pursue their interests in sports, music, theater arts and writing.
- Currently we have 1,244 sixth through eighth grade students enrolled in Parras.
- Parras has twice been awarded the California Distinguished School award.
- Parras earned the California Gold Ribbon Award for 2016
- Parras earned the California Green Ribbon Award-Gold Level for 2016
- We offer overnight camps for all three grade levels to further enrich our students’ experience at Parras Middle School.
- We offer elective classes for students to pursue their interests such as drama, media technology, computers, creative writing, school publications and leadership.
- Students have the opportunity to play in our intermural program which has sports such as flag football, soccer, volleyball, basketball and softball.
- Our after school GATE program gives students a one of a kind experiential learning opportunity.
- We have two highly trained counselors to help our students with academic, social and emotional needs during their three years at Parras Middle School.
- Our students are placed on a core team of teachers. This is done so teachers are better able to address your student’s needs.
- We have an online Parent Portal so you can see your child’s attendance and assignment grades in real time.
- Our students receive PE everyday along with the core subjects of math, social studies, science, and language arts.
- Our sixth grade students are placed on a small team of two teachers. One teacher will teach math and science while the other will teach social studies and language arts.
- Our teamed teachers share a common conference period each day so they can meet with parents any day of the week to address concerns.
- We have jazz band, concert band, wind ensemble and symphonic band.
- We have a new performing arts stage and an outdoor amphitheatre for performances.
- Our textbooks are online so students have access at all times.
- We have a digital library for students to download books to their eReaders and Ipads.
A GIRL'S GUIDE TO MIDDLE SCHOOL
Is your daughter nervous about middle school? Our counselor recommends this book from AmericanGirl.com for students: